Monday, June 8, 2015

Shorty's BBQ

Photo Credit: Chopped Onion.
This week's review is on my go-to restaurant for ribs: Shorty's BBQ. Located on multiple locations throughout South Florida, Shorty's is a self-proclaimed "southern BBQ family restaurant," an idea on which I wholeheartedly agree. I was introduced to its famous BBQ ribs several years back by my dad--I still remember it like it was yesterday! My dad took my family and me to show off his new finding, and at that moment I could've sworn I'd eaten the best ribs in my life. Perfect amounts of BBQ sauce on tender, fell-off-the-bone meat. It was delicious. That first day, I remember seeing rolls of towel paper on the tables and members of entirely different families sitting almost elbow to elbow. My dad explained to me the towel paper was there to clean up after the mess we were likely to make--I mean, it's ribs!! And so we sat down in the packed restaurant, also elbow to elbow with the neighbors, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Since then, I've introduced almost everyone I know to that restaurant, precisely because of its atmosphere. It's a very welcoming, open-space kind of restaurant, with long picnic-style tables and "southern" decor. I regard it as a place with fond memories, even though as the years have passed I believe its quality has declined a bit. I still enjoy the baby back ribs, they are still very good and I won't pass out on an opportunity to visit Shorty's when I have an aching for ribs, but definitely not as good as those first times. On the other hand, through time, I have also been able to try different items on the menu.
Photo Credit: ZIM Instagram.
As for appetizers, I personally don't go for the onion rings. They're a bit too filling for my taste; they have too much breading and is a little mushy. So I prefer to go for the wings. They come in batches of 5, 10 or 20 and have a great seasoning that I couldn't quite pinpoint. It has a very light breading, just enough to make it crunchy, but not so much that it would be overwhelming compared to the seasoning. As for ribs, I'd go for the baby back. They're a little juicier and already have the BBQ included, as opposed to spare ribs. Of course, they're also a bit smaller, but quality over quantity, right? However, if you put on some BBQ sauce (bottles of which are found on every table), the spare ribs come to life. The platters are all accompanied with cole slaw, some pretty good french fries, and (my fave) garlic bread. The combination of these make for a pretty good meal in both size and flavor. Even better, I tend to get the wings and spare ribs and baby back platter and share it with a friend. Overall, I regard Shorty's as a place to go to because of its unique atmosphere more than for its food, but some wings and baby back certainly don't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment